We are looking for an experienced and inspiring Artist / Creative Practitioner / Metal Fabrication Company to design, fabricate and install a decorative welcome gateway feature at Bulwell Market Place.
Bulwell Market Place is a pedestrianised public open space and a busy thoroughfare in the centre of the town, adjacent to the busy Highbury Road (B628). There is currently a low retaining wall that divides the Market Place and Highbury Road which is being rebuilt into a seating area and a separate performance platform. Our new gateway feature will welcome people to Bulwell, positioned at this new entranceway to the Market Place.
We would like the gateway feature to be uplifting for residents of Bulwell, to reflect local people’s pride in the area, possibly referencing some aspect of local history (social or industrial) and give visitors to the Market Place a welcoming feeling!
The indicative budget for this commission is £15,000 excluding VAT.
How to Apply
Your application should outline what interests you about this project, your experience of this type of work and how you would approach this commission. Tell us how your approach would enhance and give visibility to the entrance to the Market Place, whilst being sympathetic to its surroundings.
- An outline of the your approach and delivery method, including local consultation/ community engagement as you feel appropriate.
- An initial concept for how the archway/gateway feature for the Market Square could tie into other potential future commissions in the town centre – (gates to Banks Yard and archway signage for Tudor Court and the Banks Yard entrance).
- Cost of delivering this commission / including your usual day rate.
- Your track record including
- 3 examples of previous relevant work, including short descriptions and images, costs and timescales of these commissions (ideally within Powerpoint).
- Either your web address or the website of projects you have contributed to with a clear indication of the level of your contribution particularly where collaborative projects are referenced.
The completed contact sheet and reference sheet (see project brief document).
A panel consisting of representatives from Nottingham City Council, local Councillors and Bulwell Arts Festival will shortlist and interview the applicants. Mark Armstrong, (Town Centre Manager) and Cathy Mahmood (Creative Nottingham North Coordinator) are the Project Managers.
|Tender advertised||Monday 20th March 2017|
|Deadline for submission of tender proposal||10th April 2017, 5pm|
|Interviews / Presentation of the shortlisted tenders to the commissioning panel||20th April 2017|
|Appointment of successful artist||21st April 2017|
|Design development and consultation||24th April 2017 – 10th May 2017|
|Presentation of final design to approval panel and approval||11th May 2017|
|Fabrication and Installation Deadline||Mon 12th June 2017|
Please advise if you feel the fabrication period needs to be extended.
Please send an electronic copy of your application by 10 April to:
Cathy Mahmood, Creative Nottingham North Coordinator
Mobile: 07808 165209
Rebalancing the Outer Estates, Bulwell Riverside, Main Street, Nottingham, NG6 8QJ
co funded by the D2N2 Local Growth Fund